A Visiting Student Request Form and documentation are required for all categories of visiting graduate students. Faculty or their administrative staff must request appointments through the Graduate Studies Office and supply documentation for all student visitors. Only complete packages will be accepted. International student visitors will be contacted by International Student Programs after the official invitation from the Dean has been issued. All subsequent requests for extension must also be directed to the Graduate Studies Office. International visitors requesting an extension must do so a minimum of two weeks in advance of the expiration date in order to remain in compliance. To apply, please follow these steps:
- Host academic option/division must complete the Visiting Student Request form
- Host academic option/division must provide proof of sponsorship from a Caltech faculty member, including:
- Nature of work
- Financial arrangements (if any)
- Length of stay (including start and end dates)
- Student should be asked by the host to provide the following supporting documents to the host coordinator:
- Proof of health insurance for the duration of the visit. Insurance should be comparable to current Caltech graduate students' health insurance coverage: https://benefits.caltech.edu/health/students/medical
- Proof of enrollment in the form of copies of transcripts and/or certification of student from home institution
- Evidence of financial support if no funding is being received from Caltech or if funding is less than the minimum amount required for living expenses per month. The minimum rate for academic year 2018-19 is $2,400/month*.
- Submit the completed Visiting Student Request form and all required supporting documentation together to the Graduate Studies Office at least one month prior to the visit start date. Additional time may be required for international students who need to apply for a visa. Please note that incomplete application packages will not be processed.
- The Graduate Studies Office will review and send an official invitation letter from the Dean when the request form and all supporting documents are in order.
- After the official invitation has been sent by the Graduate Studies Office, visiting students will be contacted by the Registrar's Office to complete two additional forms:
- If campus housing is being requested, the student may now contact the Housing Office to apply. A University Identification Number (UID) will be issued by the Registrar's Office only after completion of Step 2 above. The UID is required in order to apply for housing. Due to limited housing options, campus housing cannot be guaranteed for non-degree visitors. All visitors are strongly encouraged to secure external housing.
*This is the minimum amount deemed feasible for living expenses (meals and lodging) and does not reflect tuition, fees, or other educational expenses. Depending upon an individual's circumstances, additional income for living expenses may be needed.