Caltech Recreation Newsletter December 2019
Shoe Donation Box 2019 SAAC, student athlete advisory committee has been doing a used shoe drive, please bring in old, smelly, gently overused shoes with some life left in them, it will help those who have none!
Holiday Food Drive 2019
Make a difference this holiday by helping us give back to the community. This year we will be donating to the Friends in Deed Food Pantry servicing Pasadena and surrounding communities. Donations of non-perishable items will be accepted December 9-16 at the Braun Athletic Center.
General Facility Notes
The Braun Athletic Center Winter Break Holiday Hours
Monday December 23 8am-8pm, POOLS 8am-7:30pm
Tuesday December 24 8am-2pm, POOLS 8am-1:30pm
Wednesday December 25 CLOSED
Thursday December 26 CLOSED
Friday December 27 8am-8pm, POOLS 8am-7:30pm
Monday December 30 8am-8pm, POOLS 8am-7:30pm
Tuesday December 31 8am-2pm, POOLS 8am-1:30pm
Wednesday January 1 CLOSED
Thursday January 2 8am-8pm, POOLS 8am-7:30pm
Friday January 3 8am-8pm, POOLS 8am-7:30pm
- Reminder Regular Hours are: Monday-Friday 6:00am-10:30pm; Saturday/Sunday 8:00am-8:00pm
- Regular Pool Hours: Monday-Friday 6:00am-8:30pm; Saturday/Sunday 12:00pm-6:00pm
- Reminder re: Guests at the Braun Athletic Center: Non-membership eligible guests must purchase a day pass and have a member present with them for their entire visit. Member and guest should meet at the gym lobby, as guests are not authorized to wander looking for their host. Members are responsible for actions of their guest, and must remain with them for the duration of the guest’s visit.
- Reminder re: Safety and Security. While we all strive to create a community that is respectful, safe and enjoyable, you should be aware that petty thefts are on the rise in our buildings and on campus. In part this is due to members of the community allowing unidentified folks into our buildings. Please do not let anyone into our buildings, all use should be checked in through central access point at Braun. All thefts over the past semester have been from unsecured lockers. Day lockers are available in the Braun Men’s, Braun Women’s, and Brown Men’s locker rooms. Please bring your own lock when using day lockers. If you must bring valuables to the gym, make sure to lock it up!
- Project Tennis Courts: Our tennis court fencing project is nearly complete. Take a look at the new attractive chain-link when walking to the gym from campus! The courts themselves will be resurfaced summer 2020.
- Project Individual restroom: The firs- floor gender neutral restroom on the left as you face them, is becoming a full service individual use changing room. This lockable space will feature three open faced lockers, a changing area, restroom facilities, and a shower for families or individuals to use before and after their workout. Please use this space quickly as others may be waiting and also do not leave your belongings in the space permanently. This space will also be used to offer officials for Caltech Varsity games a secure and professional place to change and keep their belongings.
- Winter Flu season: Please be ever vigilant about flu season in our shared common space. Please be even more diligent about wiping mats, balls and machines, as well as washing hands and covering sneezes!
This past fall, we evaluated our work and activity schedules in order to have a good work environment for our staff and supervise the safety of our swimmers. By being more strategic with how we are scheduling staff and activities at the pool, we will continue with these changes that were made this fall.
Pool Schedule Changes: We strive to create and post the pool, and other facility schedules a week in advance at a minimum. We strive to reduce last minute changes but they do happen for either student facing reasons or equipment/water quality or weather reasons. Please always call the desk or review online if you are wanting to come swim and have a tight schedule.
Winter Weather: Heavy rain can make it difficult to see the bottom of the pool or beneath the surface. If heavy rain causes bottom obstruction, pools will be cleared until the bottom is visible. Don’t forget that winter is a great time to use the spa. Please keep in mind with the increased use during the winter there will be times the spa is closed for regularly scheduled maintenance.
Fall Term group fitness schedule runs September 30-December 15, 2019. Holiday group fitness schedule runs December 16, 2019-January 5, 2020. Check out what classes we will be offering, both class schedules are currently listed on the www.gocaltech.com/recreation site.
New Group Fitness Class! Monday s we will be offering a new class at 8:30pm, HIIT. High Intensity Interval Training mixes cardio and weights for a great full body workout.
Our group fitness program is organized in parallel with the Institute’s academic year [4 terms (fall, winter, spring, summer] allowing individuals opportunities to progress to more advanced classes. During breaks between terms, we offer a reduced schedule of classes, allowing for appropriate rest and recovery of both instructor and participant. This format also enables participants to try different activities. To see the latest group fitness schedule go to www.gocaltech.com/recreation and click Fitness and Wellness.
Inter-house and GSC Leagues 2019-2020 Academic Year
Inter-house Intramurals: open only to undergraduates. Activities included: Dodgeball, Volleyball, Soccer, Ultimate Frisbee, Basketball, Table Tennis, and Floor Ball. Usually the undergrads play on Tuesday and Thursday evenings 7-9pm
GSC Intramurals: open to all members, and member eligible community. Activities included: Soccer, Volleyball, Basketball, Softball, and 1-Day tournaments for Kickball, Flag Football, Inner tube Water Polo and Tennis. GSC Soccer and Volleyball will start the week of January 6, 2020. Team and individual registration is going on now for both sports. To register go to rec.caltech.edu and click intramurals. Contact Heather Morgan firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions or need help with registration.
Did you know we have a Facebook & Twitter page? Like Caltech Recreation to get up-to-the minute news, info and changes to Caltech Recreation Schedule. Want to make sure you are receiving emails about recreation and membership? Make sure you have email@example.com added to your contact list.
Intercollegiate Team News: Jump on the Beaver Bandwagon! www.Gocaltech.com
Each of the six fall sports programs made tremendous strides in 2019. The volleyball program, led by newly-minted SCIAC Coach of the Year Tom Gardner, had its first 10-win season in more than 20 years as well as its first season of multiple SCIAC victories, while a small handful of individuals helped rewrite the record books. Both cross country teams yielded national qualifiers in the same year for the first time ever. Senior Simon Ricci and junior Claire Hu performed admirably in Louisville's near-freezing temperatures and earlier in the month led their respective teams to eighth and seventh-place finishes at the regional championships held in Claremont. The men's soccer team caught fire late in the season with several individuals accruing accolades for their hard work. Senior Kevin Yu was recognized as Second Team All-SCIAC for the third straight year, freshman Sam Klauer won SCIAC Newcomer of the Year and senior Theo Yang was recently became a second team selection for CoSIDA Academic All-America. Meanwhile, the women's soccer team is transforming itself into a competitive group in its third year as a program, holding SCIAC champion and NCAA finalist Pomona-Pitzer off the scoreboard for 67 minutes on Senior Day. The men's water polo team also showed some upside in 2019 when they began the season 5-1 while working to incorporate a talented freshman class into an already established core group of players.
The intercollegiate teams and Caltech scholar-athletes will have more to look forward to this winter. The men's and women's swimming and diving teams will resume in competition in January after recently hosting the first four-team SCIAC meet in the modern history of both programs. From there, the Beavers will look to build momentum towards the SCIAC Championships and national meet, set to be held in Greensboro this year. Both basketball programs have also been exciting to watch with early wins in tow. The men appear primed to compete for a SCIAC playoff spot in 2020 while the women will look to match or improve upon last year's first double-digit win season in the history of the program.
Winter Orange Out dates are:
January 8, 2020 Men’s Basketball 7pm
January 25, 2020 Swim & Dive 10:30am
January 29, 2020 Women’s Basketball 7pm
February 12, 2020 Baseball 2:30pm