Welcome to Caltech!
We are delighted that you will be joining us this year, and look forward to meeting you and working with you over the course of your graduate degree program. The entire campus is ready to welcome you and to help make your transition to Caltech as smooth as possible. Our plan is to be fully in-person by the Fall term, but we understand that for some of you circumstances may delay your arrival. If this is the case, please reach out to the Graduate Office as soon as possible so we can assist you. We understand that due to the events of the past year you may have many questions, so feel free to contact us about any information on this website.
June 14: Start of Summer term
September 1: Graduate students can officially arrive on campus
September 1: Fall term health coverage begins
September 16-18: iBegin@Caltech – International Student Orientation. International students should plan to participate in both iBegin@Caltech and the New Student Orientation as the materials presented will differ.
September 20-22: New Student Orientation
September 27: Last date to complete the Responsible Conduct of Research online course
September 27: Start of Fall term and first day of classes
October 26: First paycheck for students receiving a stipend through Caltech
The Registrar's Office maintains a full online academic calendar and schedule.
Please note that these plans have been developed specifically for the Fall term; any changes for subsequent terms reflecting the evolving public health and immigration landscape will be communicated to you through messages from the Graduate Office.
Graduate Orientation for Fall 2021 will be mostly virtual with events taking place on September 20-22. All students are required to familiarize themselves with the graduate orientation modules and participate in any live events as schedules allow. The general Orientation program for all new students begins with the Institute Convocation on Monday, September 20th at 10:00 AM and concludes with the Teaching Conference on Wednesday, September 22nd. International students are also required to participate in iBegin@Caltech and information can be found on the ISP website. Anyone unable to participate will need to make special arrangements to makeup the required sessions on policies, TA training, and other essential elements of orientation. The first day of instruction for Academic Year 2021-22 is September 27, 2021.
Caltech Email Account Setup
Information will be sent by the Registrar's Office during the summer.
Responsible Conduct of Research
All new students are required to complete the online course in Responsible Conduct of Research prior to enrollment. Once you have received your Caltech UID, you will be expected to log onto the CITI training site via access.caltech and complete the short training course no later than September 27.
New Student Start-Up Loan
For many students, relocating can incur unexpected costs and often presents a financial burden. To help alleviate this burden, Caltech offers a 0% interest loan of $2,500 to incoming students. The loan funds will be disbursed through the Bursar's Office starting on Monday, September 20, 2021, and repayment begins in April 2022 over the course of 18 months. New students interested in applying for the loan should complete and submit the response form no later than July 19, 2021. Further instructions will then be sent regarding completing the loan documents and the disbursement of funds.
Caltech recognizes that transcripts for the spring term 2020 and beyond may reflect pass/fail or other non-standard grading options, but final transcripts are required from all previously attended colleges or universities. Please arrange for your previous institution(s) to send one copy of your transcript noting any degrees received and the date of conferral to: Office of the Registrar, Mail Code 125-87, Caltech, Pasadena, CA 91125 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Housing (due 5/3/2021)
- New Graduate Student Start-Up (NGSS) Loan application (due 7/19/2021)
- Student Patent and Computer Software Agreement (due 8/15/2021)
- Multimedia Release (due 8/15/2021)
- W-4 (US Citizens and Permanent Residents only) (due 8/15/2021)
- Direct Deposit (due 8/15/2021)
- I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification - Caltech collects information for Form I-9 electronically and instructions will be emailed in the Summer. The documentation required for Section 2 must be reviewed for authenticity and while electronic verification is currently permissible while the campus has limited access, students will be required to present documentation within three days of in-person arrival on campus. Examples of acceptable documents can be found on page 8 here.
- Health Forms (due 8/15/2021) Available June 2 - Contact for questions: https://mycaltechhealth.caltech.edu/login_directory.aspx
Messages > New Message > I want to send a message about my Health Forms
- Registrar's Office
- Graduate Student Council
- International Student Programs
- Caltech Center for Inclusion and Diversity
- Accessibility Services for Students
- Title IX at Caltech
- Center for Teaching, Learning & Outreach
- Student Wellness Services
- Academic Options Contact List