Welcome to Caltech!
We are delighted that you will be joining us this year, and look forward to meeting you and working with you over the course of your graduate degree program.
We understand that the global COVID-19 pandemic will profoundly impact your experience at Caltech whether you are on-campus or will matriculate remotely. Our transition back to on-site campus learning and research will occur in stages, and in ways that are consistent with guidelines set by public health officials and immigration orders. The Caltech Together web pages provide regular updates on Caltech's ongoing response to the pandemic.
The Graduate Studies Office is ready to facilitate your transition to Caltech. COVID-19 aside, we understand that you will have many questions, so feel free to contact us about any information on this website.
Important dates follow, with the understanding that pandemic planning may require changes and adjustments:
September 1: Graduate students can officially arrive on campus.
September 15-17: International Student Orientation. International students should participate in both the International Student Orientation and the New Student Orientation.
September 20-24: New Student Orientation – Health and Safety, Option-specific sessions, Teaching Conference, etc. Pending updates about the opening of campus for Fall term, students should plan to participate in the entire orientation.
September 27: Classes begin.
October 26: First paycheck for students receiving a stipend through Caltech.
The Registrar's Office maintains a full online academic calendar and schedule.
Please note that these plans have been developed specifically for the Fall term; any changes for subsequent terms reflecting the evolving public health and immigration landscape will be communicated to you through messages from the Graduate Office.
Graduate Orientation for Fall 2021 will take place the week of September 20. All new students are expected to participate in Orientation starting with the Institute Convocation. International students are also required to participate in International Student Orientation and information can be found on the ISP website. Anyone unable to participate will need to make special arrangements to makeup the required sessions on policies, TA training, and other essential elements of orientation. The first day of instruction for Academic Year 2021-22 is September 27, 2021.
Caltech Email Account Setup
Information will be sent by the Registrar's Office during the summer.
Responsible Conduct of Research
All new students are required to complete the online course in Responsible Conduct of Research prior to enrollment. Once you have received your Caltech UID, you will be expected to log onto the CITI training site via access.caltech and complete the short training course no later than September 27.
Caltech recognizes that transcripts for the spring term 2020 and beyond may reflect pass/fail or other non-standard grading options, but final transcripts are required from all previously attended colleges or universities. Please arrange for your previous institution(s) to send one copy of your transcript noting any degrees received and the date of conferral to: Office of the Registrar, Mail Code 125-87, Caltech, Pasadena, CA 91125 or email to email@example.com.
- Student Health (due TBA)
- Housing (due TBA)
- Student Patent and Computer Software Agreement (due TBA)
- Multimedia Release (due TBA)
- W-4 (US Citizens and Permanent Residents only) (due TBA)
- Direct Deposit (due TBA)
- I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification - Caltech collects information for Form I-9 electronically and instructions will be emailed in the Summer. The documentation required for Section 2 must be reviewed for authenticity and while electronic verification is currently permissible while the campus has limited access, students will be required to present documentation within three days of in-person arrival on campus. Examples of acceptable documents can be found on page 8 here.
- Registrar's Office
- Graduate Student Council
- Caltech Women's Club
- International Student Programs
- Caltech Center for Diversity
- Accessibility Services for Students
- Title IX at Caltech
- Center for Teaching, Learning & Outreach
- Student Wellness Center
- Academic Options Contact List
- New Student Information Handbook (under review)
- The Caltech Community's Statement on Ethical Conduct